Working with Your Resume Writer
When you make the decision to hire a professional resume writer, you’re not only investing your time and money, but you’re also entrusting the writer to articulate your personal brand and develop a career marketing document focused on positioning you for career opportunities you seek. Collaborating with my resume writing clients by conducting a personal one-on-one telephone consultation to gather specific career information as well as personal nuances is what makes a Chapman resume so powerful and effective! Taking this responsibility very seriously, I want to provide you with 10 tips to ensure we have a positive and successful collaboration!
1. Communicate Clearly. I promise to keep you informed about what I need from you — and, at the same time, I expect you to be responsive to my requests. I use the information you give me to create your resume, so the better the information I get from you, the better your new resume will be!
2. Be Honest. Please be honest with me in all the details of your career that you share with me. I will not knowingly put false information on your resume and you shouldn’t either.
3. Be Clear On Your Career Goal. Having a specific job target will help me write a more effective resume to showcase your skills, experience, and accomplishments. If you ask me to write a “general resume,” it will not be as successful as a resume that is written for a specific job target.
4. Meet Your Deadlines. If I give you action items to work on — with a timeframe to return it to me — please meet that deadline. If your timeline for needing your resume changes — for example, there is a specific opportunity you want to respond to, please let me know, but there will likely be a fee associated with rush requests. And let’s close out your project on a timely basis. The sooner we finalize your project, the sooner you can start using your new documents!
5. Invest In Yourself. Your new resume is just one tool in your job search toolbox. If I recommend additional services to complement your resume consider the request carefully. Your income is your number one asset, and as the saying goes, “sometimes you need to spend money to make money.”
6. Trust Me, I’m Your Resume Writer. Please don’t solicit opinions about your resume from your friends or family members. You hired me for my expertise. So, if you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask me.
7. Remember, Your Resume is a Marketing Document, Not an Obituary. I’m not going to include every detail about your life and work history on your resume, especially if you have certain jobs that aren’t relevant to your career target. These details are important to who you are, but they are not necessarily important in this resume for this job target. I will be selective in what information I include, because your resume tells a story about who you are and what you can do.
8. Don’t “Lend” Your Resume to Anyone Else. Your new resume is a customized document developed just for you. Allowing someone else to use your resume (format, design, and/or wording) may even dilute its effectiveness for you — especially if you “lend it” to a co-worker or colleague. If someone admires your resume, send him or her my way and I will create an equally awesome document customized for their job search!
9. Let Me Know How You’re Doing. Sometimes I don’t hear from clients until they need an update to their resume when it’s time to look for a new job. But I want to hear from you when you get a job offer. We’ll celebrate together!
10. Keep Your Resume Updated. Speaking of your new job, once you land a new position (and you’re sure you’re going to stay — usually, after the first 90 days, you know), get back in touch with me to add your new position. Keep an accomplishments journal so you can track your achievements in your new role, which makes it easier to respond to new opportunities that come up.
The resumes produced by Chapman Services Group, LLC are the best resumes I’ve seen. As an executive recruiter I see hundreds of resumes every day and have worked with several of the top resume writing services in the nation. The resumes created by CSG are second to none!
I recently contacted Chapman Services Group to update my resume. Please know that your prompt and expert preparation of my resume helped to make my transition back into the job market less stressful. Every prospective employer commented on what a great resume I had. Within two weeks of submitting my resume to potential employers I had several interviews and a solid job offer. Thank you Chapman Services!
The documents look awesome. So awesome that I’ve saved these files to my flash drive as AWESOME COVER LETTER and AWESOME RESUME.
I had submitted numerous resumes and had heard nothing from anyone. When I received your completed resume and cover letter I immediately started submitting resumes. After just three weeks of sending out only a few resumes in this current job market, I landed an interview with one of the biggest marketing firms in the Nation’s Capitol. I am so excited and wanted others to know how great your service is. I look forward to working with you again.
I want to take this time to thank you for all of your help. Working with you has been a wonderful experience. You always deliver what you say and you leave all the decision making power up to the customer. Your work ethics are top notch. I have no doubt that you will continue your success. I will gladly update you with my performance as well as send you my brother’s information.
Lisa Chapman was a great writer. She listened to everything I said and it’s evident in the final products. The resume and cover letter are awesome.
You explained the process and I knew right away that I wanted you to prepare my resume. You performed every part of the process within the specified time, exactly as promised. You compiled my entire work history, skills and abilities into an attractive, well written resume. Your services not only met, they exceeded my expectations. Thank you for your commitment to excellence. You are a valuable asset to anyone in need of any of your comprehensive services.
Lisa Chapman is an excellent technical writer with a great personality. My cover letter, resume, and thank-you note has an excellent visual format and is professionally written (love the presentation style)! This was money well spent!
As a business executive I am very pleased with Chapman services. I found Lisa Chapman to be very professional and extremely knowledgeable about resume writing and the job search process. After our face to face interview in which she asked many questions about my background, she was able to craft an easy to read comprehensive document which accurately represented my work experiences. I have received many unsolicited compliments on my new resume and cover letter thanks to Lisa. I would highly recommend Chapman Services to any executive who wants to keep their resume professional and current.
I forwarded both the resume and cover letter to my sister, she was a senior analyst with Compaq and did hiring, her comment was- An extraordinary overview of YOU!!! I knew it would be worth it.
Has anyone told you how good you really are at resume writing? I’m adding you to my Christmas list!
I’ve received nothing but compliments about the resume you wrote for me.
The resume and cover letter are works of art. Your excellent effort on these documents really mean a lot to me. You are a star in your field!