Did you know that LinkedIn profiles with pictures attract 50-70% more inquiries than profiles without pictures? That’s a huge audience that you don’t want to miss! Here are 10 tips to maximize your LinkedIn profile with a picture.
1. Use a photo of you in your profile — don’t use a photo of an object.
- Don’t use an old photo. Show what you look today, not 10 years ago.
- At a minimum, your photo should include your head and shoulders, not just a close-up of your face.
- Smile! Radiate warmth and friendliness.
- Photos should be professionally done, if possible (skip the Glamour Shots).
- Wear your most complementary color. Bright colors can attract attention; avoid patterns.
- Don’t have other people in your photos (don’t crop other people out of a picture either— there should not be any errant body parts in your LinkedIn photo!).
- Make sure the background in the photo isn’t distracting.
- Relax. Look directly at the camera.
- Take multiple shots and ask people their opinion on which one makes you seem most “approachable.”
Tips for Men: Wear a dark blue or black suite with dress shirt. No t-shirts or Hawaiian shirts. No busy or crazy patterns.
Tips for Women: Wear something you feel comfortable in. No t-shirts. No big or busy patterns. Soft, dark v-necks look great. Black always works; avoid white. Your hair and makeup should look professional or if possible, be professionally done.