Having a network is a valuable resource. It takes time to build up a valuable database of contacts. They must be nurtured and cultivated. Here are six ways you can stay in contact with them:
- Because you have worked so hard to build up these contacts over the years, you do not want to lose communication with them. If you only reach out to them when you need something, like a job referral, they will then feel used. You want to maintain contact with them all year.
- You don’t want it to be a one sided relationship, so make sure you are returning the favor throughout the year by referring them to people as well. A great way to stay in touch and learn more about your connections is to schedule a time to meet with your connections to learn about what they have to offer and what they are currently doing.
- You want to be on the top of their minds. Just as you have many valuable connections, so do they. If you are keeping in regular contact with them, you will then be the first person they think of, when an opportunity arises. You can stay in contact with them via email, phone, in person or even remotely.
- Posting updates online can keep you visible to your network. Provide valuable updates with resources to articles that may be of interest to your network. As your network is streaming through their social networking profiles, your updates will catch their eye if you are posting on a regular basis.
- Another great way to stay in touch is to remember special events such as birthdays, anniversaries, etc. This shows a special touch that not everyone will do. Going the extra mile can make all the difference in the world.
- Have a system in place to stay in contact with your network. This will ensure you don’t forget to stay in contact. LinkedIn has a great way for doing this, as you can download a list of all your connections directly from your profile.